Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Time Is An Invention #6 - In Which An Avalanche Strikes

Originally posted by D on FB Notes Thursday, September 3, 2009 at 12:36am.

OK, enough happened tonight that I felt it really warranted a second and more in depth note.


Pic not related.


In short, an IM conversation with Angela started out with me bouncing a few ideas off of her trying to get a couple of logic problems solved, and ended with me having an absolutely massive chunk of the story laid out in my head. Seriously, this is so much farther than I expected to get in the next few months, let alone in one night.

A cohesive plotline has been devised with a beginning, middle and end, and reasoning for each of those to happen. Characters and factions have started fleshing themselves out in my head. The setting is getting much much more detailed than it was. Protagonists and antagonists have been defined, and motives have been discerned. It's turned into a real story as opposed to a bunch of cool ideas just swirling around in my head.

As I was telling Mindy, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but this feels like an honest to god, centuries-spanning sci-fi epic. If someone told me that a book had been written/movie had been shot about this exact story, I'd go out and buy it immediately.

Next tasks:

* I mentioned figuring out exactly how the Directorate works so I know exactly how I can break it, and that's still on the list, but I mapped out some good progress on that tonight.

* I need to start outlining and getting exact events laid out. Tonight's progress was very broad strokes, cause and effect type stuff. Outlining will boil it down into small enough chunks for me to tackle.

* I'm starting a pet project to map out a timeline of all of this. With any luck, it will end up being a great big piece of wall art.

I was excited about this idea before. Now, I'm excited and driven. I can't wait to see where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment